Donald’s Cold Cucumber Soup [for diabetics] :Donald Douglas, who, as Captain McNeil, chased me in vain, through many Poldark episodes, has finally come to terms with the hopelessness of his pursuit and, in fact, lives close by. He’s much better at making soup than he ever was as a soldier and, as a way of letting bygones be bygones, has given me permission to include this wonderful summer soup!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 flat tsp salt – be careful, the stock may be salty
2 crushed cloves of garlic
zest of a small lemon
juice of ½ lemon
1 large cucumber
500 g/16 oz yogurt – I use fat-free, Donald uses Greek which is richer
1 organic vegetable stock cube
1. In a large bowl mix the first five ingredients.
2. Peel the cucumber, leaving some strips of green. Grate it into the bowl. Add the yogurt.
3. Make 350 ml/12 fl oz/11/2 cups white stock with the stock cube.
4. When cool, add to the bowl. Add some chopped parsley and mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
5. Chill in the fridge, preferably overnight. It’s a good idea to put the soup bowls in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
6. Stir the soup thoroughly and place an ice cube in each bowl. I like to add 2 peeled prawns and a pinch of parsley too.
2 TBSP OLIVE OIL
1 FLAT TSP SALT – BE CAREFUL, THE STOCK MAY BE SALTY
2 CRUSHED CLOVES OF GARLIC
ZEST OF A SMALL LEMON
JUICE OF ½ LEMON
1 LARGE CUCUMBER
500 G/16 OZ YOGURT – I USE FAT-FREE, DONALD USES GREEK WHICH IS RICHER
1 ORGANIC VEGETABLE STOCK CUBE
Serves 2 ladles each for 5 people; you may wish you’d made more because this soup is something!
Extra tags :
cold cucumber soup